PE 7 Theory of Sport Management
Instructor: Nikki Dequin
Week 1- Intro to the course/ course syllabus/ Chapter 1
Questions Key Points from the chapter
1. Create definitions for sport & sport management.
2. List career opportunities in the field of sport management.
3. What is unique about sport management versus other fields of study?
4. Identify tasks sport managers will engage in during their careers.
5. Discuss challenges and opportunities regarding technology, ethics and social responsibiltiy.
Nature & scope of the sport industry
-Sport industry settings
-Types of sport (traditional vs new)
-Sport industry segments
-Product type model
-Economic impact model
-sport activity model
-Unique aspects of sport management
- Social institution
-Sport Management competencies
-Challenges & Opportunities
-Technology -Ethics -Globalization
Week 2- Chapters 2 & 3
Questions Key Points
1. Explain the purpose of taking general ed. courses.
2. Identify specific courses that a sport management major would take.
3. Identify behaviors that exhibit a professional attitude with regard to image, work transition, business etiquette, academic preparation, and professional development.
4. Explain how values, interests, and skills play an important role in career planning.
-Work transition & adjustment
Career planning & management
1. Describe how a person becomes a critical thinker. -Becoming a critical thinker
2. Define critical thinking. -components & questions to consider
-Identifying what is meant by critical thinking
-what is is not/ what it is
-Approaches to critical thinking
-Panning for gold approach
-Citical thinking questions:
*What are the issues and conclusions?
*What are the reasons?
*What words or phrases are ambiguous?
*What are the value conflicts and assumptions?
*What are the descriptive assumptions?
*Do the reasons contain fallacies?
*How good is the evidence?
*What significant info is omitted?
Week 3 -Chapters 14 & 15
Questions Key Points
1. Describe the difference between public, nonpublic and commercial organizations.
2. What approach would you take to evaluate organizational effectiveness & efficiency?
3. Describe the strategy your organization would take to gain a competitive advantage over your competition.
4. How would you address the issue of unfair treatment of diverse employees in the workplace?
Definition of the term organization
Types of organizations
-Effectiveness & efficiency
-Approaches to evaluation
-Formalization or standardization
-Centralization & decentralization
Strategy -Gaining an edge
Organizational change -goal
Organizational diversity -diversity & management
1. Define management & leadership.
2.Explain the difference between management & leadership.
3. How would you go about managing an organization?
4. How would you go about leading an organization?
5. List specific skills needed to manage successfully.
Management & leadership.
-Managers & leaders
Management as a process in sport organizations
-Scientific management approach
-Human relations management approach
Leadership as a process in sport organizations
-Trait leadership theory
-Behavioral leadership theory
-Situational (contingency) leadership models
-Classifications of managers
-Managerial leadership skills
Weeks 4 & 5- Management Functions/Marketing Chapters 6 & 9
Questions Chapter 6 Key Points
1.List the functions that sport management & marketing -Functions of Sport management & Marketing agencies
agencies conduct. -Types of agencies
2.List the different types of agencies & explain their -Full-service, -General, -Specialty & -In-house
central role. -Career Paths
3.What types of experiences, education & skills would -Experience, -Hiring, -Education, & -Skills needed
a person need to attain when pursuing a position with a -Current Challenges
sport management & marketing agency? -In-house vs. outsourcing
4.What are some current challenges facing sport management -Conflict of interest
& marketing agencies today? -Mergers & acquisitions
Questions Chapter 9 Key Points
1. Define sport marketing. -Defining sport marketing
2. Why would it be important for companies to develop -Unique characterisitcs of sport marketing
a mission statement? -Intangible
3. Indicate the steps that you would include in a sport -Subjective & heterogeneous
marketing plan. -Inconsistent & unpredictable
4. Explian how you might capitalize on the popularity of -Perishable
hip-hop in your marketing plan. -Emotions
-Mission, ethics, & social responsibility
-Being ethically & socially responsible
-Developing a sport marketing plan
Study Questions Chapter 10 Key Points
1. Define consumer behavior.
2. What is the key to the success of a sport
3. The degree to which a sport meets a particular
need or motive depends on each consumer's
perceptions & experiences. What are your
perceptions & experiences with regard to your
4. Explain how physical surroundings might influence
consumers' purchase decisions.
5. Explain why the internet has become a popular
choice for sport consumption.
-Definition of consumer behavior
-Understanding the individual as a sport consumer
*needs & *movtivation
-Participant & spectator markets
-consumer perceptions - consumer attitudes
-Situational influences on the sport consumer
-physical surroundings, -social surroundings,
-taks requirements, -temporal perspective,
-Consumer decision making in sport
-Decision process & -Post purchase evaluation
-Challenges facing sport marketers
-meaning & emotion of sport consumption
-globalization of sport
Week 7 - Public Relations/Review for midterm
Study Questions Chapter 11 Key Points
1. What steps can a person take to become -Communication basics
an effective communicator? -writing & speaking
2. Explain the difference between media relations -becoming an effective communicator
& community relations. -communication models
3. List some recent technological advances that -models of public relations practice
sport public relations professionals might use -Media relations in sport
daily. -sport in mass media
4. As technological advances continue to occur, -print media
explain how professionals might underuse direct -Electronic media
communication skills. -Media relations specialist
-Why engage in these activities?
-Community relations specialist
- Other public relations positions
-Internet, -Email, -World Wide Web
-posting info. online, -credible info, &
-underusing direct communcation skills
Chapter 12 Questions
What is your opinion of the financial situation of
What is your opinion of the financial situation of collegiate sport?
What is the difference between macroeconomics & microeconomics?
List revenue sources for both professional & collegiate sport organizations.
List job positions in both professional & college sport organizations that require financial management skills.
Chapter 12 Key Points
Current financial situation of profession sport: growth, economic problems, attempts to equalize, reliance on the
media & business profits.
Financial situation of college athletics: rising costs, financial future, need to increase revenue & Men's basketball
Economics of sport: Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, overview of financial management (structure & financial statements),
Sport organizations (types & sources of revenues) & careers in financial management (sophisticated & specialized).
Websites/articles to review prior to 10/26
www.womenssportsfoundation.org - Understanding Title IX & Athletics 101 & Mythbusting: what every female athlete should know.
www.pe.com - Athletic budgets shrink as recession expands. By, Sean Nealon June 15.
Look up: California's economic crisis. 2010-2011 budget and fiscal outlook.
Chapter 13 Questions
List as many types of sport facilities as you can think of.
Expalin why some move from public to private.
List risk management issues with regard to sport facilities.
Describe the planning & evaluation processes that a faciltiy manager in charge of hosting a sporting event would use.
Chapter 13 Key points:
Types of facilities:
-An expensive endeavor